Help Wanted: Full-time Market Manager
Farmers markets play an important role in increasing the availability and access to local foods. They offer more places for farmers and producers to sell their products and invite the local community to gather over a variety of delicious, fresh foods and artisan products in their own community. Salem NH Farmers Market, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization founded 10 years ago, is growing! We are seeking two motivated individuals to play key roles in our year-round market. Our Market Manager is a full-time position and requires strong administrative skills. Our Assistant Market Manager is a part-time position. Sundays from 8:00-3:00 is required for both positions, and the Market Manager will have additional hours. Applicants for both positions must be able to repeatedly and safely lift or carry up to 50 pounds.
Please note that our Sunday Market is a bustling and very fast paced environment. We are interested only in people who enjoy this type of activity and understand how to work with the sense of urgency required when things get busy. If you think you have this quality, and are looking for a long-term position, then we are willing to train you, even if you lack experience in a farmers’ market or other requirements.
Our Market Manager is a year-round, full-time position, starting immediately. Salary based on experience. 2-weeks paid personal time. The Market Manager reports directly to the SNHFM Board of Directors.
The Market Manager is required to be at the market on Sunday from 8:00-3:00 (approximately 7 hours/week) and will spend another 30-35 hours per week on administrative, promotional, and operational tasks in support of the market. Most additional tasks (non-market tasks) can generally be done remotely and on a flexible schedule.
Our ideal candidate will have a passion for local food, and have a background in food preparation, agriculture, or retail management. Experience with sales, customer service, farming, graphic design, supervising, or working for a small business is a plus!
The Market Manager is responsible for managing the weekly on-site operations of the market every Sunday, year-round, including working with the Vendor Representative to ensuring policies are being adhered to by vendors and protocols are being followed to create a safe, comfortable and lively marketplace for customers. The following are duties and functions of the Manager’s role:
Sunday duties before and after Market is open to the public
- Be on-site and oversee market set-up and breakdown, including erecting canopies, tables, information booth, etc., each Sunday from 8:00 a.m. until the Market closes and all vendors have left the lot (approximately 3:00).
- Ensures safety and cleanliness of site before, during and at the conclusion of market.
- Posting and pick up of signs and barriers before and after events
- Assist vendors in loading and unloading their products, and setting up their booths and canopies.
Sunday duties during Market
- Welcome customers with respectful, friendly, and helpful assistance to customer inquiries and needs; serve as the initial point of contact and public face of the market during the scheduled market day
- Implement and enforce current Market’s COVID-1 protocols. Our current protocols include wearing a face covering, sanitizing hands and table, and practicing social distancing guidelines among customers, vendors and staff.
- Complete Pre-Market Inspection Form to ensure compliance with proper market policies and procedures, including conducting site inspections at each vendor’s base of operation and ensuring adherence to Health Department rules.
- Develop and maintains good working relationships with vendors, volunteers, consumers, and abutting businesses and other partners; coordinate, train and manage Assistant Market Manager and Token Clerk, youth programs and volunteer programs
- Work with Board Member/Vendor Rep to design a weekly site map, and direct vendors to their assigned locations.
- Photograph market using your smart phone. Post to social media and create a library of photos which can be used for marketing purposes.
- Become familiar with the process of credit, debit, and SNAP/EBT customer transactions, and ensure that vendors understand and comply with SNAP program eligible-food rules.
- Ensure all vendors have tuned in their Market Token Bags to the Token Clerk before they leave the market area.
- Work with the Vendor Representative to communicate with vendors about unpaid booth fees and assist with collection of application and booth fees; maintain accurate records of payments.
- Organize fundraising activities and events
- Respond to Market phone calls
- Must be available by cell phone contact on market day
Duties to be performed during the week. Schedule is generally flexible.
- Must be available for regular e-mail contact throughout the duration of their employment and respond to emails in a timely fashion.
- Provide continuous, accurate, and timely communications to the Board of Directors with concerns and issues.
- Maintain weekly records evaluating market performance and report status of vendor and customer attendance and provide feedback from customer and vendor surveys.
- Work with the Token Clerk at the end of the market, tabulating vendor token reimbursements and credit card transactions. Email token reimbursement counts to market accountant.
- Work with the Token Clerk to record vouchers, gift certificate, promotions, and ad counts.
- Assist with marketing program including print advertising, fliers, and posting regularly to Facebook and Instagram, and respond to comments in a timely fashion.
- Contribute information to our weekly newsletter.
- Participate in committee meetings and Board of Director meetings, via Zoom, when appropriate, but may be in person in the future
- Visit other Farmers Markets and participate in regional Farmers Market association networkings and trainings.
- Represent the Market at Chamber of Commerce meetings and network at other community events.
- Participate in special events (3-4 per year), preparing and serving samples of food using ingredients from the Market.
- Work with our Vendor Rep to actively recruit new vendors as necessary to expand the variety of products for sale at the market.
- Become familiar with basic rules and regulations that apply to vendors at each Farmers’ Market, including all applicable licenses, permits, and insurances required by vendors, be able to refer a vendor for permits or registrations to the appropriate agencies, and follow and help reinforce compliance with standard operating procedures/food safety plans.
- Ensure all electronic devices are fully charged prior to each Sunday.
- Research and help write grants.
- Perform other duties necessary to support the market as assigned. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements. Salem NH Farmers Market reserves the right to amend and change duties, responsibilities, and requirements to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
The ideal candidate is an individual who is passionate about maintaining a strong working relationship with vendors, building community, the food we eat, where it comes from, and food access. This position is ideal for someone who:
- Will show commitment by regular, dependable, punctual attendance; timeliness and reliability are critical.
- Is available to work a flexible schedule. Sundays are mandatory. Most of your schedule will be flexible, but we may require occasional evenings and Saturdays, and participation in a weekly Market update with Board Members.
- Is physically able to repeatedly and safely lift or carry up to 50 pounds as well as stand, bend, and squat on hard surfaces for up to 7 hours as needed during the Market Day.
- Is able and willing to work independently, both at home and in an outdoor environment in adverse weather conditions.
- Has a valid driver’s license, a clean driving record, and has access to reliable transportation.
- Has regular access to reliable WIFI/Internet. (The Market will provide an Apple iPad.)
- Is proficient with computer programs including email, Microsoft software (Word, Excel), online formats (Google docs), social media (Facebook, Instagram, etc.), and WordPress, and is comfortable learning new tools and technologies as needed in this role.
- Owns a smartphone that is fully functional, including camera suitable of professional-quality photos.
- Can function as a strong team player but can also work independently.
- Has a strong work ethic and organizational skills, able to prioritize time, and pays attention to detail.
- Has personal confidence and the ability to effectively approach and communicate with a diverse range of audiences — vendors, customers, funders, volunteers, and other constituents — with professional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Is reliable, friendly, positive, outgoing, enthusiastic, and upbeat, so that they can foster an atmosphere/culture of passion, warmth, and fun, as well as accountability and hard work.
- Has strong interpersonal skills: Patience, respect, and transparency.
- Has the ability to calmly deal with multiple moving pieces, make strategic decisions on the go, be flexible and able to change directions very fast.
- Can accept/learn from constructive feedback, and able to give it diplomatically to others.
- Has a willingness to learn new tasks and information as well as the ability to train, supervise, coordinate, and motivate volunteers and other staff members.
- Has skills in diplomacy and dispute-resolution skills.
- Is willing to help with tasks outside of his/her primary responsibilities.
Covid-19 safety protocols will be prioritized at all times. Our COVID-19 precautions include:
- Initial interview by remote
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings when possible
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures are in place
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
Salem NH Farmers Market is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We highly encourage people with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. We are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment for our employees, volunteers, vendors, and customers.
If you feel you match this description and wish to be considered for the position, please email your resume, cover letter, and three professional references to info@SalemNHFarmersMarket.org and fill out this questionnaire which will help us get to know you a little better. If you are excited about this position but do not meet 100% of the qualifications, we still encourage you to apply. Positions will remain open until filled. Review of applications will begin on Friday, April 30. Candidates who respond to this ad without a resume, cover letter or completely filling in this form, will not be considered.